Ask a Urologist   »  

Had discharge from penis and was treated for non specific urethritis. Stinging and feel like urinating. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
hi, I had discharge from my penis and I was treated for nonspecific urethritis almost 2 years ago and several months after treatment I began to feel discomfort after urinating but no discharge. I was retreated but the stinging hasnt stopped and I feel like I need to urinate all the time. What should I do? The antibiotics are'nt working!
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It could be due to Stricture Urethra. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you had been treated for non-specific urethritis 2 years back and now have discomfort after passing urine and have increased frequency of urination. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem . 1) Did you have urethral discharge when you were being treated for non-specific infection? 2) Did you have unprotected sex preceding getting Urethritis? 3) Du you have to strain while passing urine? 4)How is the urine stream ?is it forceful or weak? Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and get following tests done under his guidance. 1) Routine urine test and urine culture. 2) Retrograde Cystourethrogram to rule out possibility of narrowing of urethral passage (Stricture Urethra) If needed he may do endoscopic examination of urethra and bladder (Cysto-Urethroscopy) to confirm the diagnosis. Further treatment will depend upon the result of these tests and final diagnosis. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Had discharge from penis and was treated for non specific urethritis. Stinging and feel like urinating. What should I do? 8 hours later
Hi Dr. P. T. XXXXXXX In reply to your questions; 1) Did you have urethral discharge when you were being treated for non-specific infection? When I first got treated two years ago I did have discharge from my penis. Also four years ago I had discharge from my penis and was treated for non-specific Urethritis back then aswell. so I have had discharge on two different occasions and was treated both times and the discharge went away. 2) Did you have unprotected sex preceding getting Urethritis? Yes I had unprotected sex preceding getting the urethritis on both occasions. But I have had the same partner for two years now and neither of us have had sex with anyone else. We were both treated for NSU two years ago and she does not have any symptoms. 3) Du you have to strain while passing urine? no. 4)How is the urine stream ?is it forceful or weak? Its normal, the same as its always been, except I feel like I need to go all the time. The discomfort after urinating is usually only after urinating in the morning after I get out of bed and then the odd time during the day but not as bad. When the stinging came back 7 months after I was treated I returned to the GUM clinic and they done the tests again (swab and urine test) and the test came back saying I had 'Scanti cells'. They gave me 2 weeks of Doxycycline but that didnt stop the stinging so I returned again and they gave me Azithromycin (4 tablets all in one go) and that didnt work either. I have taken Azithromycin 4 times now in my life and doxycycline once. Could I be resistant to all the medication? I am going out of my mind with worry. Could I have been mis-diagnosed? Could it be something else? Am I stuck with this for life?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get the tests I have suggested. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for feedback and follow up.It seems to be due to stricture of the Urethra secondary to infection of urethra. Please go ahead and get the 2 tests done which I have suggested in my reply earlier to rule out narrowing of Urethral passage (Stricture Urethra). If needed Urologist may do endoscopic examination of urethra and bladder (Cysto-Urethroscopy) to confirm the diagnosis. Start taking antibiotics as per culture report.. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.