Ask a Urologist   »  

Had Unprotected sex. Will normal bacteria in vagina cause urethritis in male?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
If a man has unprotected sex with a woman free of all std's would the normal bacteria in the vagina cause urethritis in the male or would this be very rare?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it cancause Urethritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed infection of the urethra after having unprotected sex with a woman having vaginal infection but free from any STD.

Vaginal infection is very common in women and can get transmitted by unprotected sex causing infection of the urethra and prostate.

Please get her checked by a qualified Gynaecologist with microscopic examination of vaginal secretion to find out the organisms and take appropriate antibiotics to avoid getting infection in near future

You should also consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get microscopic examination of urethral discharge (if any) done to find out organisms.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics Cefexime along with anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily .

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to clean your genitals with warm water twice daily.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.