Lightheadedness,fatigue,pounding heart,vision problems,CAT scan,normal EKG,blood and urine test,gallbladder removal

I have constant lightheadedness,sometimes general weakness,usually fatigued-sleepy,pounding heart,vision problems. They ran CAT scans, EKGs,did blood and urine test and have come up with nothing.
I am 42 years old female with lower blood pressure since the removal of my gallbladder 05/11.
I have headaches like clockwork every night and a lightheaded feeling. Blood pressure is 103/69 pulse 82.
Had d-dimer done several blood tests, ekg's ecg's heart enzymes done, xrays, unlrtasounds I am wondering what is making me feel so fatigues and run down all the time.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

It is good that your cardiac status is normal and the blood tests have come out normal. From your symptoms, three possibilities are coming to my mind which need to be ruled out.

1)     The first possibility is of hyperthyroidism. Some of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism such as tremor and palpitations which are caused by excess thyroid hormone acting on the cardiac and nervous system. You need to get your thyroid profile tested to rule out this condition.

2)     The second possibility is of any arrthymia heart which can be diagnosed by 24 hours holter monitoring. It will rule out this cause as cause of heart pounding.

3)     There is a strong possibility of these symptoms being due to anxiety neurosis. For ruling them out you need to consult a psychiatrist. Symptoms of anxiety neurosis include sweating, headaches, nausea, muscle tension, muscle aches, trembling, heart pounding and hot flashes. It requires psychological counselling and anti anxiety medicines which are available on prescription.

4)     Also get premature menopause ruled out from a gynecologist which can cause these symptoms.

Till the time you get evaluated for these possibilities, there are some of the other lifestyle options which you can follow:

1)     When you have such symptoms, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.

2)     Do not take caffeine or alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3)     Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4)     You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Lightheadedness,fatigue,pounding heart,vision problems,CAT scan,normal EKG,blood and urine test,gallbladder removal 55 minutes later
I wore a heart monitor for three days in hospital
I was having chest tightness which they ruled put heart with stress test EKG and heart monitor.
I was told 10 years ago I was insulin resistant
I check my blood twice daily and have good results
120 after eating
80/90 before eating
Eating the right foods and losing 18 lbs has helped
I was told my thyroid n t4 are good
I hAve a constant feeling of lightheadedness like fullness in the head
Ears popping n headaches
Just recently when I feel weak tired n fatigued I check blood pressure always
105/69 or103/68 once it was 99/62
Every test under the sun done and no answers

Could this be hormonal or thyroid?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again,

Good to know that most of the tests are normal.

It makes sense to get a freeT3, free T4 and TSH to look for the thyroid status. If the thyroid profile is normal, then thyroid is unlikely to be the culprit behind your symptoms.

As mentioned earlier, a premature menopause can sometimes result in these symptoms, Hence, checking the estradiol, FSH and LH can help in ruling out premature menopause.

Please consult a gynecologist for the same.

If these possibilities are ruled out, then you should consult a psychiatrist to rule out anxiety neurosis being the cause behind the light headedness.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Follow-up: Lightheadedness,fatigue,pounding heart,vision problems,CAT scan,normal EKG,blood and urine test,gallbladder removal 7 hours later
Are there certain blood tests to check fOr menopause?
Why the ears popping, headaches and fatigue
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

as mentioned above to detect premature menopause, you have to get hormones like estradiol, FSH and LH levels checked. fatigue can be due to premature menopause as well.

However for the ears popping and headaches, one more possibility of any Eustachian tube blockage should be ruled out. For each ear, a Eustachian tube runs from the middle ear to the back of the throat and when this tube is blocked then it may cause fluid build up in ear and headaches and ears popping. For this a complete ENT check up should be done.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.