Having vertigo and feeling stiff in shoulders. Suggest the supplements to be taken

Hi Doctor, Thanks for your concern. I am feeling better now. Yes i do have few questions. 1 i am having Vertigo now a days .i had it few years ago also.There is little bit irritation in the right Ear and when i wake up from the bed gets dizzy. and feel stiffness in my shoulders. if you can please suggest me some medication and Ear drops too. 2..Suggest me What vitamins or minerals i should take to stay energetic. I have started getting tired soon . i do not take any supplements. I take only thyroid medication tablet..0.75mg in the morning. Thanks XXXX
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Symptomatic treatment+cause to find and thyroid Detailed Answer: hello usha! I went through your query. you need some vestibular suppressants for symptomatic treatment. You may ask your doctor about cinnarazine and/or Betahistine like medicines for immediate relief. some antiviral medication, and some antiemetic medications. I suggest salt restriction and diuretic group of medicines. I personally suggest to use steroid ear drops they will help for sure. some people advise gentamicin ear drops but i recommend them for only severe problems. All of them can be bought only with prescription from doctor, so I suggest you to get one by showing this. for vertigo there are some other options which you may consider from like antihistamines, benzodiazepines, phenothiazines, monoaminergic agents, and anticholinergic agents. But more importantly you need to know the reason for your this vertigo. vertigo has many causes.Inner ear diseases like meniere disease is one of them, But more common are history of falls or headaches and migraines. answer some of my questions first. -Do you have light-headedness, unsteadiness, motion intolerance, imbalance, floating, or a tilting sensation? -Do you have any viral infection history in near past? -Do you experience any hearing loss in affected ear or opposite one? -How long does the sensation persists? is it for seconds only or associated with head or body position changes or last for hours? -was the vertigo sudden in onset? -Do you have any history of migraine headaches, cold sores or viral illnesses? -Did you take any medicine or recreational drug in recent past? -DO you drink or smoke? -How old are you?(old people vertigo above 40 years is more serious. you will need a thorough physical examination like vestibular exams,(ositioning,caloric testings,posture and gait testing etc) and vestibular stress exams, some hyperventilation exams. electronystagmographies,rotating chair test,computerized dynamic posturography etc to rule out any serious underlying trouble. Mean while i would recommend signing up to some vestibular rehabilitation programs for their promising results. 2) Vitamins: use any multivitamins with A to zinc combinations but your vertigo cause might be the reason for this fatigue. but you can use any good over the counter A to zinc supplement. Keep using thyroid medications regularly or consult the physician for your dose adjustment as hypothyroidism is also the main reason for lethargy and fatigue. You need to stay Euthyroid to feel energetic. I hope i answered your query and i was of some help. If you need to ask further please feel free to other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Regards Dr Khan
Follow-up: Having vertigo and feeling stiff in shoulders. Suggest the supplements to be taken 31 hours later
Hello doctor, Thanks. I have Meclizine.25mg tablets.. how long and how much i should take. And if you can please write me a prescription for steroid ear Drops That will be a big help. I will have my full Check up in January so i have to take care of it . Thanks again. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue till symptoms better Have an ENT assesmnt Detailed Answer: Hello again Usha! For Vertigo we use 25-100 mg/day orally in single daily dose or divided 6-12 hourly dose. It is continued as long as symptoms of vertigo prevail. Then use is as per needs not daily regimens. I urge you to discuss with your doctor to tailor the dose as per your need. If you have any of these symptoms appearing mentioned below stop the drug. Drowsiness Thickening of bronchial secretions Acute glaucoma attack Blurred vision (rare) Constipation Headache Dry mouth Urinary retention TobraDex, Cortisporin, Cortomycin, Ciprodex, VoSoL, HC are few commonly available steroid drops. You can discuss with your treating doctor. A homemade mix of 50% rubbing alcohol, 25% white vinegar, and 25% distilled water is as effective as pharmaceutical acidifying agents and less expensive Don't forget to close the discussion if you have no more questions to ask please.Hope i was of some help Regards Khan