Have bluish color lump on rectum. Have gastro issues. Recommended colonoscopy. Is this hemmoroids?

General Surgeon
I have a bluish colored lump on my rectum. Is this hemmoroids? I have a lot of gastro issues and it has been recommended to me to get a colonoscopy for them since my ct scan has come back fine.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 34 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Yes, it looks like a hemorrhoid. This is only a tiny part of it, the rest is hidden inside. It can give occasionally bright red blood in the stool. The pain can also appear.
If you find passing stool very painful, anal fissure can also give such lump (it is called sentinel pile). But it is possible only if you have really strong pain while passing the stool.

Hemorrhoids are usually caused by constipation, hard pushing on the stool, lack of physical activity. Pregnancy can also give hemorrhoids.
Constipation can be caused by hypothyroid for example. So maybe it is worth to check your TSH level if constipation is your problem.
Hemorrhoids can be treated with surgery, if giving you bleeding and pain. And colonoscopy is a good idea, to rule out any other large intestine disease.

To improve hemorrhoids condition you should:
- increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake
- do not push hard on stool
- use OTC hemorrhoids suppositories
- wash your rectum after every stool
- have sitz baths with Quercus Cortex

This wont make hemorrhoids to disappear completely, but can make them less visible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.