Had mild pain while urinating. No infection. Prescribed flexon tablet. Any kidney infection?

Hi Doctor,

I am 27 year old female and recently delivered baby (7 months ago) through LSCS.
Before 3 months I had mild pain while urinating and I went to nearby gynae.She checked me physically and ordered a Urine test to confirm I had UTI.
Anyways she confirmed that there is no infection as such when she checked physically.

I showed the below given results and she said there is nothing to worry about and there is no infection.To relieve from pain she prescribed flexon tablet.

Below are my Urine sample test results
Pus Cells:1-2/hpf
Epithelial Cells:12-15/hpf
Appearance:Slightly Turbid

After having flexon tablet for two days I din't have pain and never experienced one till date.
My query is though pus cells are normal, Epithelial cells in report is quite high is this normal ,when I browse through internet with Epithelial Cells of 12-15 hpf it says there must be some kidney infection,

My doctor didn't tell me anything and said this is normal.
Does Kidney infection show epithelial cells alone as high or is it accompanied by higher pus cells and rbcs?

Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 1 hour later
Thanks for your inquiry.

You are 27/F, had LSCS 7 months back. You had UTI 3 months back (pain while urinating). You were given Tab Flexon, which relieved your symptoms. You have sent the microscopic examination report.
Urine analysis is done not only for assessment of urinary tract but also for the assessment of various system of our whole body.

For you the urine analysis is almost normal, except - 1 or 2 pus cells/HPF, Epithelial Cells 12-15/hpf, pale yellow color and mildly turbid as per report.
This shows you don't take adequate intake of water. Moreover, regular shedding of epithelial cells may be normal.

Epithelial Cells are the lining membrane of the inner and outer surface of our body - for example skin and mucus membrane.

The urinary tract is also having lining cells like transitional and renal tubular cells. They are named according to the location. Due to certain reasons like infection some of these cells are sloughed into the urine. The cells are identified during the microscopic study of the urine sediment. They may be occasional, moderate, few or many. To some extend the underlying medical condition can be assessed as per the specific type of epithelial cells.

Sometime squamous cells may be seen due to infection of the vagina or by contamination of the testing materials.

Therefore, identification of the type of epithelial cells, urine culture and sensitivity, USG abdomen, BP, SUGAR, ECG (Master Check up) will be useful for you for evaluation.

With this, we can arrive at a possible cause if any and treat accordingly. I feel if you take plenty of water, mild diuretic, proper antibiotic as per culture and sensitivity your epithelial cells will get cleared.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Had mild pain while urinating. No infection. Prescribed flexon tablet. Any kidney infection? 3 hours later
Thanks for the clarification doctor.
Now I don't have any such symptoms as I mentioned.
But recently I had some vaginal fungal infection which was treated with anti fungal cream.

But do you suggest me to take another urine sample test or any other test so that it gets confirmed that there is no cause of concern.

What is the reference range of epithelial cells and pus cells?
If epithelial cells are more what more tests are required for treatment and diagnosis?
Which specialist do I need to consult?
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 5 hours later
Thanks for your followup inquiry,
I am happy to know that you are free from symptoms.
For comparison with your previous report you can check your urine deposits.
Normal Value:
Epithelial cells - 3 to 5 / hpf
Pus cells - 2 to 3 / hpf
Further investigations may vary as per the number and type of epithelial cells.
If epithelial cells are more - it indicates tubular degeneration and necrosis or chronic renal failure - For these a Nephrologist has to be consulted.
Hope your doubts are cleared. If not you are welcome to ask.
With best wishes