Give details regarding ibogaine

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I am addicted to Oxy…more then most. I am taking about twenty 30mg oxycodone per day and have seen Ibogaine work with my own eyes. I am looking for a doctor who is somewhat familiar with this miracle herb from Africa. I know MD's are not allowed by law to use it but I was just looking for an MD who has heard a little about it so I can ask some general questions also need to ask about subtext and suboxin
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 15 days later
Brief Answer: Am aware of research on Ibogaine. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Ibogaine is an alkaloid extracted from the African shrub Tabernanthe iboga and has hallucinogenic properties. There was some research on its ability to attenuate opioid withdrawal symptoms in the 1990s and after that it is being studied as a treatment for people with substance related problems in the countries where it is not illegal. Though I have heard of it and read some of the research on it, I am not personally acquainted with anyone who has used it. I'll try to answer your questions on Ibogaine by reading more about it as I too am intrigued why in the last twenty years, it has not been developed into a FDA approved medicine and why it is not mentioned in our psychiatric textbooks as an acceptable form of treatment for opioid and other substance related disorders. You can also ask what you wish about Suboxone and Subutex. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry