Excessive weight loss, type 2 diabetes, blood sugar out of control. Diet?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
hi sir ihave diebet type 2 i loss to much weight how XXXXXXX wieght which diet good for me and blood suggar is out of control
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Grace Abraham 34 hours later

Thanks for posting the query and I apologize for being late.

Generally we advice Type 2 Diabetics to lose weight at the rate of 6 to 8 pounds a month. This helps a lot for the diabetics in maintaining good blood pressure and better blood sugar control. THis inturn helps in reducing the chances of stroke, heart disease and other complications.

While intentional weight loss in people with diabetes is usually appreciated by doctors, unintentional weight loss is critical and needs to be properly evaluated.

If blood sugars are very high, patients with diabetes tend to urinate a lot, and this results in dehydration as a possible cause of weight loss. Also, muscle breakdown can occur if sugars are too high, causing an unhealthy weight loss. Since you mentioned that the blood sugar is not undercontrol you should immediately seek an experienced Diabetologist to assist in better control.

Now my questions to you are:
1) Do you lose more weight than expected, i.e more than 10 pounds a month?
2) Are you losing weight even though you intend not to lose?
3) How long since you started losing weight?
4) Please give your basic details of Height, Weight, Mid Arm circumference and Waist circumference?

We generally find rapid weight loss as a symptom of Type 1 Diabetes. Rapid loss of weight in Type 2 Diabetics is a complication and can be related to Ketoacidosis. You need to get a Total Body fat analysis.

A diabetic should avoid foods containing excess sugar. Mangoes, bananas, chocolates, pastries, coffee should be extremely discarded. In order to energize your body and stop diabetes weight loss, you should have a diet high in proteins and vitamins along with complex carbohydrates. You can also have whole fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables in order to stay healthy. I prefer you meeting a Nutritionist in your area and co ordinate with physician and physical trainer to increase on weight.

It is very important to check for other reasons for weight loss like Thyroid problems and other hormonal issues.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up.