Diagnosed type 2 diabetes, blood test, glucose level. Treatment ?

Just took a blood test and glucose was over 400. Saw doc today, tested to 330, diagnosed as type II and got meds. Just now tested after eating soy stuff 1/2 hour ago and it's 486. Can I just take my meds and watch it for a few days or do I need more immediate attention as a followup at this number?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 59 minutes later

The blood sugar levels are very high and at these levels, diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) can result which is a complication of diabetes that occurs when the body cannot use sugar (glucose) as a fuel source because the body has no insulin or not enough insulin.

Apart from the medicines that you have been prescribed, you need immediate medical management and need to start on injectable insulin so as to bring down your blood sugar levels.

Also get investigations like urinary ketones, creatinine (measures of kidney function, which may be impaired in DKA as a result of dehydration) and electrolytes.

Please consult your doctor immediately as such high blood sugar levels should be managed immediately.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Diagnosed type 2 diabetes, blood test, glucose level. Treatment ? 9 hours later
Thank you doc,

My main question now is whether this can wait until Monday when the doctors office is open. Other than being somewhat tired I'm not experiencing any difficult symptoms.

thank you.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later

My apologies for the delayed reply.

It's been more than a day since you reported high blood sugars. Get your sugars checked again.

If they persists to be still high, I don't think you should wait till Monday. You should see the doctor at the earliest. The marked rise in the sugar can predispose a person to diabetic ketoacidosis as mentioned earlier. This is a medical emergency and thus you should see a physician at the earliest.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.