Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

i got a knee injury. Please tell me about my report

Hello Dr., I fell a year back(may2009) and got knee injury .Dr. advised rest,ice pack and I followed it for few days and after his advise to continue daily routines I started my daily work at home. But mild pain still exist in the knee area when I strain like climbing,standing for long time and walking for long distance. So Dr. advised to have MRI Scan for my right knee and the report says - "OBLIQUE FLAP TEAR NOTED INVOLVING THE BODY OF MEDIAL MENISCUS,MINIMAL JOINT EFFUSION SEEN, SOFT TISSUE INFLAMMATION NOTED AROUND THE ANTERIOR ASPECT OF KNEE JOINT" . What does the report say? what course of treatment should I take next? Will it be cured by physio- therapy and rehabilitation exercises or surgery is the only option? Can I do day to day activities or should I take bed rest?If so, for how many days bed rest?Can I go for walking and can I do morning walker- an exercise machine which moves side to side and induces blood circulation?I have gained lot of weight in this 1 year ,I am now 93kg 165cm ,41 years of age. How can I reduce my weight so that I put less strain to my knees? Please help thanks swarna prabhu
Mon, 5 Mar 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello XXXXXXXX, I think you need surgery. A meniscal tear means a tear in your knee washer or shock absorber inside--it'll not heal with simple rest or exercises alone. You need keyhole surgery or Arthroscopic menisectomy to shave the damaged meniscal flap. Go and see an orthopaedic surgeon before it gets worse.
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Akshith's  Response
thanks for the query
from the report there seems to be inflammation in the jooint so it would be better torest it for a while and get physiotherpay for the same once the pain subsides you can do your regular activities and as far as te losing weight is left there are a lot of aerobic exercises and cardio exercises which can be done to lose weight plus your weight is one more factor which is leading to the inflammation in your joints. consult your orthopaedician also for the exercises to be done.
take care.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor