Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Will speech therapy help for English accent problem?

English was my second language in India; I came to the US when I was 11 years old. Now I'm already 20 years old. But I still have the accent and my friends suggested me to have speech therapy to get rid of my accent. I did some researches on speech therapy, but it turned out speech therapy are mostly for children and people with health problems. I just want to know will speech therapy help me to speak English better and decrease my accent.
Asked On : Fri, 16 Oct 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  1223
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Many foreign speakers want to remove their accent. But this isn't always a good idea. As long as you understand that there is no such thing as a good accent, pronunciation lessons are good. You should focus on sounds that you have trouble with. You can't learn an accent. You can only learn roughly how to produce vowel and consonant sounds using your lips, tongue and 'voice'. Some of these sounds will not be in your native language or are very different. So it is worth learning how native speakers make these sounds. My advice. Try learning how to make sounds with a friend. Work out, which sounds that you make are different from native speakers and try to understand the correct mouth position. Then practice a lot.
Answered: Sat, 17 Oct 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor