Why don't people go brain dead or get brain damage in surgery when on heart-bypass machine?

Why don't people go brain dead or get brain damage in surgery when on heart-bypass machine? I was just watching surgery of a woman, and her heart and her whole body was cooled so she could have some blood clots removed from her lungs. They stopped her blood circulation and she flat lined. They didn t explain but I assume she was not receiving oxygen. How is it possible to avoid brain damage in the patient when there is no oxygen coming in?
Fri, 11 Dec 2009