Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

146 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Why does water drips out of my nose after bending over?

Why does water drips out of my nose after bending over I am a 37 year old male and the last few years I have noticed that after bending over or tipping my head down, a water like substance drips from my nose. It is clear. What could be causing this? Is it something I should be concerned about?
Mon, 23 May 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
It is allergic rhinitis so you have not to worry.
Due to slight congestion in the nose there is secretion in the nose leading in to running nose.
Take some anti histaminic and you will be alright.
ok and bye.
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. Sumit Bhatti's  Response
1. You should try and collect this fluid in a sterile container and get it examined to rule out CSF (Cerebro Spinal Fluid). Get a Beta-2 Transferrin test on the fluid, if available.

2. Your symptoms are similar to the 'teapot' sign or 'reservoir sign', where this fluid drips out on bending forwards or looking down.

3. A simple test is the 'Handerchief Test': Normal nasal secretions contain mucus which will stain and stiffen a soft handkerchief on drying, but CSF will not.

4. Do you have any history of recent head injury? Any ear complaints? If the above mentioned tests are negative, then you have allergic rhinitis.

5. This is by no means an exhaustive investigation. Further testing depends upon the results (of these above mentioned tests) that you may post here.
I find this answer helpful

 2 users find this helpful

ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response

Welcome to HealthCareMagic Forum.

Dear I recommend, a CT PNS. with beta 2 transferrin test for CSF.

you may be suffering from CSF rhinorrhoea. OR just allergic rhinitis if u encounter recurrent bouts of sneeezing.

Consult an ent surgeon soon.
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello, 23yrs old female, Ever since when I bend over water drips out my nose. Now it has gotten a lot worse. Now whenever I put my head down it drips and sometimes without warning when I am just sitting or standing. I don t feel sick and have no reason to think its allergies ( my eyes don t itch, throat is fine). But sneezing occurs sometimes. Any suggestion you could give would be so appreciated! thanks!

doctor1 MD

Why does water drips out of my nose after bending over to pick something on ground I am a 40 year old male and the last few months I have noticed that after bending over or tipping my head down, a water like substance drips from my nose. It is clear. What could be causing this? Is it something I should be concerned about?my email is YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

Hello. Thanks foro your help, my problem is this, when i bend over my nose drips a liquid like water, i sleep a lot and i can t see very well some times i see doble, my sister had a cerebral tumor and he had the same. I have allergies, and i don know what to do, i use a lot of nafazolina and everybody tells me that s the reason why i have this. RegardsĀ”

Recent questions on  Allergic rhinitis

doctor1 MD

14 yrs old 5 3 120 lb male with like blue color skin discoloration on extremities, sometime blotchy; when discolored area receives slight pressure (like placing your hand on area) skin leaves imprint of hand in white; extremely bad allergies like hay fever, very congested

doctor1 MD

I a 33, 5 2, 160 lbs and have some symptoms of either MS or Devic s Disease (optic neuritis, spinal lesions, abnormal spinal tap). I have allergic rhinitis, gerd, and diverticulosis. My question or concern today is that I have no symptoms of sinusitis in my opinion, but my ears feel like there is a lot of pressure in them. Went to urgent care and they told me that is was sinusitis and that I had air trapped in my ears. i was given ru-hist, ru-hist d, astepro and verimist and also a hydrocortisone shot. This was on Thursday and nothing has helped, what should I do next?

doctor1 MD

Hi my age is 36/m weight is around 79 kgs, when I was 20 years old I was diagnosed with Allergic rhinitis had Cryosurgery at age of 23 and had been taking following medications off and on ...Allegra , cetrizine,some antibiotics..when needed...this problem disappears on its own and re occur on its own mostly it happens in summers and extreme winters not sure if there is any permanent cure to it ( sometimes I have stuffy nose and sometimes its watery with heavy sneezing)

doctor1 MD

i have very sore cuts on the inside of one nasal passage. they are making it hard to breathe. they scab over and when touched they bleed. what is causing it? i have uticaria and make my allergies are making it worse? i also have asthma and hayfever already but this has never happened before.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My wife is 23 weeks now, she gets allergic rhinitis often during winter (Nov, Dec) and her nose gets blocked. She has started taking Oxymetazoline nasal drops ( Otrivin-one drop, sometimes two on each nostril ) almost 2 weeks back and...

doctor1 MD

Hi my cousin who is pregnant on her 1st trimester took one single avil tablet 25 mg without knowing for allergic rhinitis is that ok?now she stopped taking

doctor1 MD

Yes, I have never tried this before but I have now had a sinus infection for 8 days. Started out as a cold an turned into a sinus infection. I usually get 2 year one in the fall and one n the spring. I have been Iburofin and flu nase . The only...