When your heart receive oxygenated blood ?

Fri, 5 Apr 2013
Medical Topics ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hi janja
thanks for consulting HCM
Heart as you know is a four chambered organ.Right side deals with deoxygenated blood and left side oxygenated blood.
Blood supply to the heart is via coronary artery and its branches which usally has its origin from the ostium of aorta.
It is also proven that profusion and flow of coronary arteries is during ventricular diastole i.e when the ventricles relax...

hoping you have got your answer
best wishes
arvind's  Response
The lung or pulmonary system is the essential respiration organ in air-breathing animals, including most tetrapods, a few fish and a few snails. In mammals and the more complex life forms, the two lungs are located in the chest on either side of the heart. Their principal function is to transport oxygen from the atmosphere into the bloodstream, and to release carbon dioxide from the bloodstream into the atmosphere. This exchange of gases is accomplished in the mosaic of specialized cells that form millions of tiny, exceptionally thin-walled air sacs called alveoli. In order to completely explain the anatomy of the lungs, it is necessary to discuss the passage of air through the mouth to the alveoli. Once air progresses through the mouth or nose, it travels through the oropharynx, nasopharynx, the larynx, the trachea, and a progressively subdividing system of bronchi and bronchioles until it finally reaches the alveoli where the gas exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen takes place. The drawing and expulsion of air (ventilation) is driven by muscular action; in early tetrapods, air was driven into the lungs by the pharyngeal muscles, whereas in reptiles, birds and mammals a more complicated musculoskeletal system is used.