Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What treatment can I take to reduce the pain in the right side under my ribs ?

Hi, I m 12 years old, and my right side under my ribs is always hurting, like intense pain to where I cant lie down. I m scard to go to the hospital. What do I do? -Riley
Fri, 20 Jan 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Dear Riley,

Structures that can create a pain on the right side under the ribs include the rib cage musculature, the diaphragm, the pleura (a thin covering over the lungs), and the liver (slightly lower down). Conditions that may cause these structures to have a painful experience include blunt or sharp injury, sprain of the muscles/ligaments that form the rib cage (the most likely cause at your age, and self-limiting), a patch of lung infection (pneumonia) (but in this case, you should also be having high fever, cough and phlegm), exhaustion of the diaphragm through heavy running or physical exertion, and liver inflammation (hepatitis).

To further delineate the problem, you would have to see a doctor, if simple liniments or pain-relieving ointments do not help.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor