What is the purpose of using Lamictal for the treatment of bipolar disorder?

Hi I ve taking LaMICtal for my bi-polar for abut 21 days now. I always feel tired and i feel like I m more depressed than I was before I started the treatment. I was wondering what the goal is for this treatment? After seven more days i move up from 50mg s to 100mg s. I a little worried about how that will make me feel.
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Psychologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Lamictal is an anticonvulsant medication, used to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder. In bipolar disorder, it is used to treat acute episodes of depression, rapid cycling in bipolar type II, and prevent recurrence in bipolar type I. Your doctor in right in this aspect.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards.
Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response

Lamictal or Lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser drug and has great efficacy in resistant depression. The purpose of using Lamotrigine in Bipolar disorder is to counter resistant depression symptoms. When the drug is started for first few days then drug result in increased restlessness and worsening of symptoms. But in few days the symptoms start improving. So please stick to the treatment and you will definitely get benefit.