Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What is FNAC and why its done ?

Recently my wife get pregnant .But we dont a baby now.Then w consult with a doctor. She gave her some medicine cystonis-200mg .when she took those medicine she got period of 10 period is off.Doctor suggest us after stop period take a USG of lower abdomen . Report of USG is: Urinary bladder ,uterus & ovaries-normal.Suggestive of cystic lesion at pelvic region,below the rectus muscle & anterior to the anterior wall of urinary bladder,in between symphysis pubis & umbilicus. Adv:USG guided FNAC of cystic lesion at pelvic region. Now I want to know whats condition of my wife.Is there any problem?
Asked On : Sun, 5 Jun 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  64
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hi Shawn,
Thanks for visiting HCM.
FNAC or fine needle aspiration cytology is a safe procedure using the smallest possible calibre of needle (24 or 26 G), going into tissue, aspirating whatever comes out, preparing the slide and getting it examined by a pathologist. And with in a matter of one day, the nature of the lesion is detected.

In your wife's case it appears to be a simple benign cyst (non cancerous). But to know the exact nature of the lesion, it requires the histopathological examination of the FNAC slided.
The cysts are usually asymptomatic, but occasionally get infected and then there will be pus formation. The treatment is complete removal of the cyst surgically if the patient has got symptoms.

I advise you to go for FNAC. The report will further guide the treatment...

Best wishes
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Hi, Shawon,
Thanks for query,
Report of ultra sound indicates some pathology in the lower abdomen out side uterus,bladder and ovaries.
Your case requires evaluation,
Consult surgeon and seek his advice.
ok and bye.
Answered: Sun, 5 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]

Related questions you may be interested in


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor