What happens if you accidentally inject yourself with air instead of insulin?

What happens if you accidentally inject yourself with air instead of insulin? The other day, my mom was not feeling well, and so she was not thinking clearly, and got distracted while preparing her insulin. She thinks she might have actually forgot to put any insulin into the syringe! But she had pulled the syringe back enough to allow the air in, so she would have injected just air into herself. Is this dangerous? What could happen?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009