• question-icon

What causes vaginal bleeding during pregnancy?

I am 7 weeks pregnant and started with brown spotting on Monday...on Tuesday i went to ER and did an ultrasound and baby was okay, heart was beating. Since then i am taking 200mg of progesterone suppositories and now i am bleeding red blood and more than before. Do i need to be on bedrest? When should the progesterone start to kick in on my body?

Many thanks
Tue, 14 Oct 2014
I understand your concern.
The vaginal bleeding in pregnancy of 7 weeks can be due to-
- Progesteron is a hormone essential for fetal growth,insufficiency-of Progesteron leads to bleeding- which is controlled in a day after proper Progesteron supplement.
- Excessive physical strain/ psychological stress / blow to abdomen can lead to separation of primitive placenta from uterus & bleeding/abortion.
- Sometimes faulty fertilization ( blighted ovum) occurs which eventually leads to bleeding and expulsion.
* In your case it seems to be threatened abortion, mostly due to hormone deficiency .
The medication along with physical movement is not likely to control the condition.... so complete bed rest is a must.( some times hospitalization is needed)
Consult your Gynecologist about dosage of Progesteron & any other accompaniment. Usually medicines to control bleeding (Haemostatics) & medicines to stop uterine contractions( Isoxsuprine hydrochloride) aalong with Prigesteron & full bed rest, help.
Thanks.