• question-icon

What causes throat irritation?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...

My throat has been "irritated" for almost 2 weeks. When it first started, just touching the skin around my throat was sensitive. That irritation passed. Now, my throat feels irritated (raw/scratchy and sometimes, like I have something caught in it) - but not all of the time. It comes and goes throughout the day. It seems it gets that feeling when I am outdoors. I have allergies, asthma, GERD (along w/ a hiatal hernia) and a deviated septum. Should I see an ENT or, since it comes and goes, do you think it is just allergy/GERD-related?

Also, I've had a pain in my mid-to-low back (left side) for almost 3 years now. The pain ranges from mild to severe depending on the day. I had a chest x-ray 9 months ago and it came back clear (except for interstitial markings). Any ideas?

Tue, 23 Sep 2014
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
hi
you already have GERD( hiatal hernia)which itself is the main cause for your throat pain,most common due to the acid reflux
asthma, allergy both the conditions have sensitive mucosal layers which can be the other cause
you may be suffering from throat infection also
please visit an ENT surgeon for an endoscopic evaluation of the throat
this pain can be related to the GERD
TAKE CARE