Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
172 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
  • question-icon

    What causes growth of bumps on the back of the shaft?

Hello, excuse any typos but i am 20 years of age and i noticed a group of small lightly red bumps at the back of my shaft were my pubic hair grow. It is only a few, between 5 and 8, one is fairly larger than the rest, but overall small. Now I have eczema and I do shave often But i have had eczema for years and when it came on my penis it cleared away really quickly, i know that these are not shaving bumps they simply do not look like it. I was thinking a pimple because i have really bad acne but that is only on my face. I have noticed in my sex life, if i do not use a condom, after sex if i did not take a bath my penis would itch. it never got server and bumped up badly. but when it did i treated it with hydrocortisone 2.5%..i had sex a little of 2 months ago with out a condom and i noticed that my penis itches after. It was not anything new. but i did have a lot of sex for two days straight with out a condom. the itch did not increase. it really came and went away. until i took a shower. but i did notice some bumps and since they did not itch i left them alone. but now months later there are not as many bumps. there never were that many. but i just want them gone. and i am scared i might have an std. i treated it with hydrocortisone 1% i have no 2.5% and the 1% was over the counter. any advice?
Wed, 29 Jun 2016
Report Abuse
Urologist 's  Response
Thanks for query .

Based on your description you seem to have multiple sebaceous cysts over shaft of the penis .

The penile skin is rich in sebaceous glands and hence prone to get more sebaceous cyst due to accumulation of sebum beneath the skin. Normally they fade away without treatment however they need to be treated if increase in size or get infected.

Consult qualified General Surgeon for clinical evaluation and further treatment. If needed the bigger one may need to get excised in Toto (Completely along with the sac).


I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My 5 yr old Grandson has been getting red blind spots (bumps) on his back, sometimes on his shoulder and odd ones on other areas. Nobody seems...

Recent questions on  HIV

doctor1 MD

Hello!am leyla!doctor i had an unprotected sex a week ago and took postinor-2 to prevent unwanted pregnancy but then again it happend today again i...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had protected sex about a week ago. I am on nuvaring, and this is my second month. I have been on 3 different types of birth control for a...

doctor1 MD

i am 24 year male i am masturbating last from when i was 15i am 24 year male i am masturbating last from when i was 15 year , now i am suffering...

doctor1 MD

I have no problem getting an erection but when I slip on a condon for sex I quickly lose it. This is a problem for me as I will have a lovely...

doctor1 MD

I just had a mutual masturbation session with a sex worker However she removed her hand from inside her vagina and used it roughly on my penis in a...

doctor1 MD

i bought food the food was in a container with a plastic at the top covering the container how ever i notice the plastic on 1 container was...

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and...