• question-icon

What causes growth of bumps on the back of the shaft?

Hello, excuse any typos but i am 20 years of age and i noticed a group of small lightly red bumps at the back of my shaft were my pubic hair grow. It is only a few, between 5 and 8, one is fairly larger than the rest, but overall small. Now I have eczema and I do shave often But i have had eczema for years and when it came on my penis it cleared away really quickly, i know that these are not shaving bumps they simply do not look like it. I was thinking a pimple because i have really bad acne but that is only on my face. I have noticed in my sex life, if i do not use a condom, after sex if i did not take a bath my penis would itch. it never got server and bumped up badly. but when it did i treated it with hydrocortisone 2.5%..i had sex a little of 2 months ago with out a condom and i noticed that my penis itches after. It was not anything new. but i did have a lot of sex for two days straight with out a condom. the itch did not increase. it really came and went away. until i took a shower. but i did notice some bumps and since they did not itch i left them alone. but now months later there are not as many bumps. there never were that many. but i just want them gone. and i am scared i might have an std. i treated it with hydrocortisone 1% i have no 2.5% and the 1% was over the counter. any advice?
Wed, 29 Jun 2016
Urologist 's  Response
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on your description you seem to have multiple sebaceous cysts over shaft of the penis .

The penile skin is rich in sebaceous glands and hence prone to get more sebaceous cyst due to accumulation of sebum beneath the skin. Normally they fade away without treatment however they need to be treated if increase in size or get infected.

Consult qualified General Surgeon for clinical evaluation and further treatment. If needed the bigger one may need to get excised in Toto (Completely along with the sac).

Dr.Patil.