What causes eyelid inflammation?

I woke up this morning with the upper eyelid close to my nose dark brown and red, it is also puffy in that area. I have an enlarged gland on the other side of my upper eyelid on the inside of the eyelid. Is this a connected problem? the inside of my lower eyelid is also very red and has lost smoothness. I'm applying warm moist compresses to that eye with no relief so far.
Thu, 5 Jun 2014
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hello
It seems from the history that you are having multiple swellings of the glands of eyelids involving both the eyelids.
This indicates multiple and recurrent stye and treatment is by use of antibiotics and antiinflammatory drugs.
Since these are multiple and recurrent the underlying causes should be looked for and treated. The common problems blepharitis, eye strain as in uncorrected refractive error, diabetes...
Hence I advice you to consult your doctor for evaluation and treatment accordingly.

Thank you