Is Laser eye surgery required if cylindrical power is 1.25 and 0.5?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi I am having -1.25 power on my left eye and 0.5 cylindrical power on my right eye I don't want to use spects and I am using lenses from many years now I don't want to use lenses also I heard from many that I need not use spects or lenses also unless it required and some are suggesting me to go for laser surgery. I just need some information can I continue with out spects or lenses, or go for Lasik surgery , or use spects when required like in front of the system or in movies. I hope opthalmologist can answer my query better.
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use glasses when needed.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
You need to use glasses whenever you are doing eye work.As your one eye is better,you don't need to use glasses to see routinely.This power is needed to prevent eye strain.
Use glasses whenever doing prolonged eye work.in patients like this we advise to use glasses in the house,and lenses when you go out.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Follow-up: Is Laser eye surgery required if cylindrical power is 1.25 and 0.5? 5 hours later
Thank you for the quick response..Is it necessary to wear spects or lenses in front of the computer... apart from Lasik surgery is there any other solution so that I don't wear spects or lenses...I heard from somewhere that if we use low power spects power do reduce so that I need not wear spects or lenses...some eye drops do help...I am looking for some solution so that my power do reduce with out Lasik . I am not interested in wearing spects or lenses.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glasses are needed for computer work.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
You do need glasses for all that work where you put strain on eyes.This includes computer work.Since you do not have much of power you do not need glasses to see well.Glasses are needed to avoid strain.
Usually we do not advice lasik fir such small power.There are no drops or medication to reduce the power.This piwer has developed due to configuratin and size of eye ball,so it is not reduced by medication.
So you have to use glasses or contact lenses
Lower power lenses do not reduce your power,you just see less.
Since the power is small,glasses can be used only when needed.