What causes an abscess after an incisional hernia repair?

In oct had incsional hernia repair with mesh implant
In nov had aspiration of 1000ccs of fluid In dec had 2 nd surgery due to abcess of fluid filled cyst is this common, how long will it continue
am still wearing binder and drain tube
Thu, 11 Sep 2014
the answer is no. This is not common. You were unlucky enough to suffer from a serious complication of surgery.
The skin protects the interior of our body from bacteria and other pathogens. Skin cuts may invite pathogens inside the body. That's why surgeons should be very careful and meticulous when preparing the patient's skin for incisions.
Hollow organs like the intestine also harbor potential pathogens. Injury of the intestine may release those pathogens to the peritoneal cavity and cause infections.
I don't know what happened in your case but peritoneal infections can be hard to eradicate. I can't tell how much time is required. Only your surgeon can estimate that.
When the fluid stops coming out through the tube, you'll be very close.
I hope you get better soon!
Kind Regards!