• question-icon

What are the long term side effects of using Doxycycline?

I ve been taking an oral antibiotic, doxycycline, for over three years on a daily basis to treat my acne. I m worried about the long term effects of taking this antibiotic. Could it disrupt the bacterial flora in my digestive tract and thus affect nutrient absorption and food digestion in general? I ve read that doxycycline binds iron strongly, and that the tetracycline class of antibiotics complex with the b vitamins. Could my dietary iron and b vitamin absorption be impaired by my long-term use of doxy.? thanks
Fri, 20 Jan 2017

Brief answer:
Stop Doxy and consult dermatologist.

Detailed answer:

First of all stop taking Doxycycline. Its not meant to be taken for years, not just doxy but all antibiotics. They are not for taking on daily basis. I wonder why you took it for 3 yrs. Stop it immediately and consult dermatologist.

ABOUT BACTERIAL FLORA: Yes it can disrupt bacterial flora, to compensate that effect you can supplement gut with friendly bacteria by taking yogurt or curd. Nutrient absorption, you just got it wrong way iron and B Vit supplements interact with absorption of doxy and decrease its ability.. so if you want to take any iron or B Vit supplies take them with hours of gap.

ACNE CARE - You can take a week or two weeks of antibiotic course that too if acne is severe with advice of physician-wash your face at least thrice a day with gentle face washes-decrease fat intake. Decrease junk food and increase taking vegetables and fruits - if you are over weight, reduce it - go for a healthy lifestyle.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Sagar