Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Treated for tooth abscess twice, just behind the wisdom tooth. Area painful, yellow pus with nasty odor. Further treatment ?

About a year and a half ago I had a tooth abscess . It was my very back tooth on the bottom right. This was just before my wisdom tooth came in behind it. I ve been treated for the abscess twice since then but haven t had the money to get my tooth pulled. Now my wisdom tooth is almost completely grown in behind the bad tooth and it s partially covered by my gums. But only covered a little bit on the top and completely covered on the back. The area is painful most of the time and now I when I put pressure on my gums by the tooth, yellow pus comes from the back of my gums. And it has a nasty odor. What s wrong with me? And what type of treatment do I need?
Asked On : Wed, 12 Sep 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  272
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist, Prosthodontics 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.

First, the pus and discomfort you are feeling are because of the infected wisdom tooth. Some times the food also gets lodged in between the flap and the tooth resulting in infection due to degradation of food there leading to pain and bad odor (halitosis).

Getting the pus removed again and again may not resolve your problem permanently if the tooth is infected. Ideally you need to get the offending tooth extracted and the pus drained. Your dentist may take an xray of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

Meanwhile you can start with antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs to reduce the infection. You should also do warm saline gargles 3-4 times/day to help in dissolution of the stuck food and removal of pus from the area. Mouthwash rinses twice daily after brushing are also recommended.

Answered: Thu, 13 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
the problem you are sufferng with is most likely PERICORONITIS, that is inflammation of soft tissues (Gums) surrounding eruting teeth. In your case, it is further compunded by Abscess in second molar. Due to food particles, getting entrapped in gingiva of third molar, it leads to infection and subsequent pus formation. First of all, you need to see the dentist, who can take Xray of affected area, and can better visualize the situation. May be you reqire RCT for second molars and extraction for third molars

Alternatively, you have to maintain good oral hygeine, with brushing affected side after meals, even if it hurts slightly, follwoed by warm salinr or betadine mouthwash rinses. you can also take tablests of OFLOXACIN+ ORNIDAZOLE, twice a day for three days to help reduce pus oozing out of infection.
Answered: Thu, 13 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
it seem your wisdom tooth is impacted and is infected.
This is called pericoronitis.there are also chances that
your abcess treated tooth is again infected.clinical
and radiograph diagnosis will confirm should
Be prescribed with antibiotics and analgesics to lower
the infection.may be your wisdom tooth need to be extracted
since it is infected and do not carry any function in
Mouth.its like an extra tooth.i would also advice you
to rinse mouth with warm saline water twice daily.
Answered: Wed, 12 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor