Tell me the details of Cerebral Atrophy

what are the causes, patho physiology, complications, treatment and management , and test for cerebral atrophy|
Tue, 12 Jul 2011
Treatment/Therapy ,  
's  Response
Cerebral atrophy refers to the loss of brain cells over time.
patho physiologically may be lack of oxygen.
Atrophy refers to a decreased size or wasting away of any part of the body.
Cerebral atrophy can happen in either the entire brain or in just one part of the brain and can lead to decreased brain mass and loss of neurological function.
The symptoms of cerebral atrophy depend on the cause and location of cell death.
Cerebral atrophy can occur due to brain injury, as in the case of stroke, or to a neurological disease, such as Alzheimer’s disease, cerebral palsy, or Huntington’s disease. Infections of the brain can also lead to the death of brain cells and cerebral atrophy.
Symptoms of cerebral atrophy include dementia, seizures, loss of motor control, and difficulty with speaking, comprehension or reading. Dementia, which is marked by memory loss and an inability to perform daily activities, may be mild or severe and may worsen with increasing atrophy. Seizures can range from absence seizures (sudden loss of responsiveness) to convulsive seizures.
Depending on the underlying cause, cerebral atrophy may progress very slowly or very rapidly. Cerebral atrophy is life threatening, and there is no known cure. Treatment for cerebral atrophy focuses on treating the symptoms and complications of the disease. In cases in which cerebral atrophy is due to an infection, treatment of the infection may stop the symptoms of atrophy from worsening.
Symptoms of cerebral atrophy can be generalized (affecting the whole brain) or localized (affecting only one part of the brain or one function). Generalized symptoms include symptoms of dementia, such as problems with memory or changes in personality. Localized symptoms include seizures and problems with speech, vision or movement..
Anticonvulsive medication to stop seizures
Cognitive or behavioral therapy to improve quality of life
Physical therapy to slow loss of muscle control
Speech therapy to decrease the impact of aphasia (impaired speech and comprehension)
Treatment for the underlying infection or injury leading to cerebral atrophy
this ans is just for growing more knowledge bout cerebral atrophy.
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Meena Gupta's  Response
Traditional physiotherapy used in children with cerebral palsy has been shown to improved the muscle strength, local muscle endurance , and overall joint range of motion. And traditional occupational therapy is a recommended component of an interdisciplinary team approach to the treatment of children with cerebral palsy. Occupational therapist work with the children with CP in improving fine motor abilities , especially the use of upper extremities in performing activities of daily leaving. OT has been shown to be effective in improving and mentioning adaptive fine motor activities of children with CP.