Teenager. Manipulative, bullying behaviour, uncomfortable with family members, distant. History of change in school for being bullied. Help

I am concerned that my grandson - 13- is s sociopath. He has a great power to manipulate. He will purposely behave in a way to get his mother yelling. and then he laughs. he shows bullying behavior with his younger sister-9 yrs old. He constantly "doesn't mean it...I was just teasing...etc" He has long been very distant regardless of my attempts to enter into a discussion with him. I've given up on a relationship with him but he complains of the relationship i have with his younger sister, and my daughter has demanded that I spend time with him. However he is not interested in that. He has great grades at school but had to change school because he was being bullied. He is now the bully. His mother has refused now to come to family gatherings because he is uncomfortable with his cousins. There's much more but I'd like to hear from you.
Mon, 22 Jul 2013
Hi.
I appreciate your concern for your grandson. From the symptoms that you have elaborated here, a significant deviation from an expected behavior on his part is evident.

Bullying siblings and disregard for the established norms are seen in a number of childhood problems, like childhood conduct disorder and Oppositional defiant disorder. One form of the former is limited only to the family environment. Such behaviors might also be atypical manifestations of mood disorders or other anxiety spectrum disorders in childhood.

Such problems are amenable to a timely intervention, and a psychiatrist can best do that. Please get him evaluated by a psychiatrist, and do accordingly. In the meanwhile, please ensure the child is not labelled as 'sociopath', for it might be detrimental for his healthy development.

Hope this helps.
Dr A Rao Kavoor
General & Family Physician Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz's  Response
Hello.It is possible that his History of change in school for being bullied have affected him.By the signs that you say:manipulator, with good grades in school, intelligent, intimidating, unsociable....seems that there are pathology in forming of personality.Please, go as soon as possible to a Child Psychologist for exploration and establish correct diagnosis and treatment.
I wish you good health.
(In case the answer would have been useful please indicate this)