Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Taking phenobarbital for seizure disorder. Any suggestion?

Hi, I am Abigael and I used to have a seizure disorder after high school. I am taking phenobarbital and for almost a year, I do not have any seizure but aura, and I do not want any aura anymore. My medicine is just an over the counter medicine. Please email me at YYYY@YYYY if you have a suggestion for me. I am really sick of it.
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

Epilepsy is a chronic illness, and medicines are required for long-term.

Phenobarbital is an effective medicine for epilepsy, however, it may have side effects such as drowsiness and learning disability.

For better seizure control, including your aura, you may use oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) at a dose of 10-20 mg per kg body weight per day.

Please discuss this with your neurologist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Answered: Wed, 9 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor