Can epilepsy cause long term memory loss?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 7 Jul 2016 in General Health
Question: Can epilepsy cause long term memory loss?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
It is not unusual for epileptic patients to have memory loss. It could be due to seizures,due to effect of drugs,due to age etc.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 10 hours later
I know there are different types of memory loss. I have memory troubles with things like i used to do lots od crochet but now i dont remember how to do it. Is this the type of memory loss that can happen or is it something different?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 30 hours later
Brief answer.....explained below
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Any type of epileptic seizure like general or focal,can cause memory problems.
If a person has focal seizures,then the way seizure affects your memory will depend upon the portion of brain which is responsible for the fits.
Brain has two halves,right and left and each half has four parts or lobes  called as frontal,parietal,temporal and occipital.
The most common reasons of memory loss are due to involvement of temporal and frontal lobes.
The left temporal lobe is responsible for verbal memories like learning names and remembering facts while right temporal lobe is responsible for visual memories like remembering faces or streets or finding way to your place etc.
Similarly frontal lobe is responsible for remembering to do things in future.
So you see that different parts of brain are responsible for different actions.
Moreover a person with frequent epileptic fits would have more memory problems as compared to person having very few fits.
Similarly anti epileptic drugs also result in memory loss which may be due to drug itself or due to drowsiness or lack of concentration caused by it.
There is nothing to worry as your memory loss is related to epilepsy and drugs and would be restored once fits stop and drugs are stopped.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad