• question-icon

What causes excessive eye blinking, hand tremors and tingling sensation in the feet?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: MY GRANDDAUGHTER HAD A STRANGE EPISODE WITH HER EYES BLINKING/CLOSING LIKE SENSITIVE TO LIGHT. HER HANDS TENSE A LITTLE AND SHE HAS A TINGLING IN HER FEET. SHE TOLD ME THAT HAPPENS WHEN WHE IS DEHYDRATED. SHE JUST TEXTED ME AND ASKED ME TO RESEARCH IT. SHE THINKS IT MIGHT BE EPILEPSY.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. XXXX,

The symptoms you described are not typical for dehydration. They could be one of a type of milder forms of seizures. It's possible that dehydration brings this out in her but in itself, does not cause seizures.

I recommend that she see her primary doctor and a neurologist for evaluation.

Migraine headaches can sometimes cause unusual symptoms that can look like seizures.

If a seizure begins in one side of the brain (as seen via tests) and the person has no loss of awareness of their surroundings during it, it is called a focal onset aware seizure (or focal seizure). This type of seizure used to be called a simple partial seizure.

A thorough history and exam (and possibly checking labs such as a chemistry panel) can help rule out physical causes such as metabolic abnormalities.

EEG (electroencephalogram) tests are usually done, but with focal seizures, they don't always show anything abnormal if there isn't a seizure happening at the time of the test.

MRI and CT scans of the head are useful to show if there is an underlying structural cause that may be responsible for the seizure.

There are other types of seizures too, other than focal-aware. By the way, the "aware" part of the new terminology means that the person is aware of their surroundings without loss of consciousness during the seizure.

Sometimes people have one seizure, and never have another one, ever.

But I do think she should go in to be seen. The doctor can take a more thorough history than I can here to sort out the likelihood of whether it is a seizure or something else.

I hope this information helps.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh