Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Taking paracetmol and nurophen for painful cracked tooth. Getting pain on side of face. Cure?

hi there i have a cracked tooth at the back of my left hand side in my mouth and its wobbly also a wisdom tooth at the back at the top i have been taking paracetmol and nurophen i have been in pain since friday with it also it has been effecting my ear and the side of my face the tooth that is woobly is rotten. what would you recommend? many thanks stacey
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
Answers:  6 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Infected broken tooth can lead to pain and soreness of cheeks and jaws. Impacted wisdom tooth eruption can also cause pain in the jaws and teeth. Constant cheek irritation by broken tooth can also cause pain and tenderness. If tooth is broken, then you need treatment for your broken tooth. If nerve of the tooth is not exposed, then tooth can be restored with dental filling or crown but if nerve of the tooth is exposed or necrosed, then root canal treatment followed by dental crown is required for the tooth. If tooth is badly mutilated, then post and core procedure is required after root canal therapy. If broken tooth is unrestorable, then tooth extraction followed by replacement of missing tooth with dental implants or dental bridge is required. Only pain meds will be of little help. Hot compresses are not indicated as they will aggravate the swelling. You can do warm saline rinses to reduce the swelling. You need to get treatment done for infected tooth. If you have cost constrains, then you can visit a dental school where treatment is done by dental students under supervision of experienced dentists. You can also look for free dental clinics near you or can talk to your local dentist if you can pay in installments for treatment. By the time you visit your dentist, you can avoid eating from side of broken tooth. You can also apply orajel for some relief. Maintain good oral hygiene to avoid any secondary infections.
Answered: Fri, 25 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
According to the history given by you, it suggests ,you have a decayed tooth which lead to fracture in the teeth along with mobility. Radiating pain is present in such cases when the teeth is infected and mobile .Get an x-ray done for the teeth to know the extent of fracture or decay in the teeth and loss of bone supporting the teeth. If the furcation area is not involved and the teeth in a condition to be treated then rootcanal therapy can be done to save the teeth, if not extraction is the choice of treatment. This should be followed by a course of antibiotics and analgesics.
Hope this helps you. Take care.
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. R.A. Singh's  Response
Hi Stacey,
Thanks for writing your query.

You should first of get your teeth examined by a Dentist.

Toothache can radiate towards ear or side of face.

Taking pain killer like Ibuprofen(Nurofen) one tablet twice a day along with paracetamol 500 mg and an antacid wil be helpful in decreasing the pain.

Also do warm saline rinses at least 3-4 times a day.

If needed your dentist can extract your cracked tooth.
Antibiotic can be needed along with pain killers if it is infected.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

visit a dentist and get your cracked tooth examined.
get x-ray of the tooth to plan the treatment,ie,whether the tooth can be root canal treated or it has to be removed.

is your wisdom tooth still impacted or erupted?
if it is impacted,operculectomy/extraction of tooth has to be done depending on the position of tooth.

take antibiotics full course prescribed by your dentist.
take betadine/warm saline gargle occasionally.
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Deepika Attresh's  Response
hello & welcome
according to the symptoms you are presenting here infection is spreading so only pain killers are not sufficient, you have to do one antibiotic course including amoxycilline 500 mg & metrogyl 400 mg.
rest visit to your dentist as soon as possible if wisdom tooth is totally decayed than better go for extraction as soon as possible.
for fractured tooth you can opt for root canal treatment & crown to preserve tooth.
thanks & take care
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hello stacey,

As you said your affected tooth is decayed badly ,mobile and cracked, it definitly needs dental supervision and treatment. Decayed and infected tooth radiates pain to the adjoining structures like jaw ,ear,adjacent teeth due to spread of infection.

you need to get a x ray done for your tooth which will show the damage and bone loss, accordingly your dentist can either save the tooth by root canal treatment or extract the tooth if the tooth is mibile and prognosis is poor. similarly x ray examination will also show the position of wisdom tooth in the jaw and accordingly treatment can be planned.

mean time to can start with antibiotic Augementin with analgesics diclofenac serratiopeptidase two times daily, though consult a dentist soon. take care
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor