Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Taking Trileptal for Epilepsy. Trying for conception. Any treatment needed?

Hi,I m Sharita,36 years old. I am an epileptic,I have been controlled for over 16 years. I am on Trileptal 900mg morning & 1200mg at night. My hubby Kam & I are trying to conceive. My neurologist & gynaecologist are happy with me. I just want to know if I must take anything else so that I am pregnant in this year. Kam is already 42. Your co-operation is highly appreciated. Thank You Sharita
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Hi Sharita,

Thank you for posting your query.

It is good to note that your epilepsy is under good control.

However, I notice two issues here:

1. If your fits are controlled for more than 16 years, then why are you still taking the medicines? If someone remains seizure free for more than five years, one attempt should be made to withdraw the drug.
2. The dose of trileptal seems to be high. The highest dose of trileptal should not exceed 20 mg per kg body weight. So, you should be taking the current dose of 2100 mg daily, only if your weight is 105 kg.

You should take folate vitamin supplementation, if you are trying to conceive.

Please discuss these issues with your neurologist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Answered: Wed, 24 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor