• question-icon

Can quetiapine fumarate and oxcarbazepine together cause side effects?

I have a 30 yr old grandson diagnosed with schizophrenia who is on 800 mg quetiapine fumarte daily. lately he has been prescribed 150 mg OXcarbazepine for angry outbursts in addition to quetiapine. the pharamist seemed reluctant with him taking these drugs together and I have held off until I get additional info. thank you. Doris Bordenski @ YYYY@YYYY
Fri, 29 Mar 2019

Oxcarbazepine does alter the metabolism of quetiapine, which can lead to decreased levels or effect of the quetiapine.

However, this would not be considered a serious interaction, but one which will just need to be monitored for how it affects your grandson.

So I would say it is ok for him to take both of these medications, and just make sure you have regular follow up with his doctor to monitor his condition.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Aaron Branch, General & Family Physician