Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Swollen foot, painful, no injury. X-ray report normal. How o get it cured?

Hi, I have had a swollen 2nd toe for about two and half months, also the ball of the foot and the surface on top are swallen. Even walking is painful and difficult, and I ve been limping around putting most weight on the outside of the foot to compensate. Nothing is broken cause I ve had 2 xrays done... I do not recall any specific injury that occurred - I just woke up one morning and saw that my toe was enlarged. Two days before that I had possibly hurt my toe a little walking a long distance in new high-heeled boots. How can I treat his and get rid of the swelling? Thanks K
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

As your xrays are negative for a fracture, the other possibilities for the swelling could be INFLAMMATION or INFECTION.

Infective causes tend to produce Fever and the swelling will result in suppuration (pus formation) if left untreated. In your case this is unlikely as it has been more than 2 months.

So the other possibility is a inflammatory cause. The common causes for inflammatory arthralgia are Rheumatoid arthritis, Gout and pseudogout, Reactive arthralgia, tuberculosis etc.

You need a detailed evaluation to establish the diagnosis.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon or a rheumatologist for further workup and management .

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
According to your description , pain and swelling over your foot seems to be inflammatory in nature.
I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of foot and rule out any infective cause.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor