Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Swelling and bruising in the ankle after a fall. No broken bone in the x-ray. Chronic pain persisting

I am a twenty something male who is pretty active. about 2 years ago I was running, rolled my right ankle over, and heard a pop sound. I went to the ER because of the swelling and bruising and had a X-Ray done which confirmed there was no break. I am still having chronic pain moving my ankle right to left with the majority of the pain stemming from my upper ankle below my shin. Should I have an MRI? Would it show anything since it has almost been 2 years? Would you recommend surgery since this has become a chronic condition?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
First and foremost you should visit a orthopedic surgeon. The problem you are suffering is PAIN.
Now in your case the pain can be due to chronic instability of the ankle which is most likely due to unhealed ligaments. MRI will definitely show the status of your ligaments and whether they needs repair or reconstruction.
the second cause ( less likely) can be the degenerative changers in your ankle joint resulting from the abnormal stresses on your ankle joint which you put to avoid pain and instability. MRI can also be helpful in that.
so my suggestion is consult a orthopedician and get a MRI as soon as possible.
take care.
Answered: Mon, 7 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

According to your description , ankle pain and swelling seems to be inflammatory in nature.

I advice you to give you rest to your foot, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of ankle and foot and rule out any infective cause.

Wishing you good health
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Mon, 7 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor