Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
120 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for pain in knees and back due to spinal injury

Hi! My name is Angie and I m a 30 year old single mom of 3 kids. I was in a car accident about 6 years ago where I sprained my neck and my shoulder. While that injury is not terrible, the accident as well as events following have created a lot of problems for me. I was diagnosed with 2 bulging discs in my lower neck (I don t remember exactly where they are) and I went to a chiropractor for some relief. After that visit I ended up in the ER unable to twist or bend my neck/back and since then I have had chronic pain. I ve gone through physical therapy, done cold and heat therapy, etc.. Every time I talk to a doctor I hear the same thing You re too young to have this many problems. Um..I KNOW! I m tired of getting treated like a drug seeker, yes, I AM looking for pain medicine because I AM IN PAIN! No one will listen to me, no one will help me! It s not just my back s virtually all of my joints. My knees hurt so bad at times walking up and down my stairs in a problem, my lower back pain has caused me tremendous problems at work because I can t stand for long periods of time, and I m a waitress/chef, or I was, I just lost my job because of this. My fingers hurt, my wrists, my elbows in the morning..and my big toe. I have medicaid so I don t have many options when it comes to medical care and I can t find a doctor to listen to my concerns and help me without judging me. I m sick of this. I can t keep living this way! I m missing out on so much with my kids because I can t play with them the way that I should. My quality of life is terrible! Please help!
Wed, 13 Feb 2019
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response

I am sorry to hear that you are kind of upset with what you are going through. It is sad and frustrating that the medical team is not able to help you have a good lifestyle in ADL.

Coming to the point, there will be injuries due to accidents. Some will be shown that time and some will come to a later stage of life

Now bringing the fact that you have spine issues and also the pain in multiple joints which includes the knee, shoulder, elbow, fingers etc., I can tell you that you need to first start your day while taking a good hot water bath in the morning. Post that you should start doing basic and simple exercise to keep the muscle active as much as you can. Something like pilates, aerobic exercise and some basic strengthening exercise. Also will advise you to buy one pocket TENS machine, which can help you reduce pain without taking much of the painkillers.

Having too much of painkillers will only make you more trouble in the upper stages of life. So the non-trouble option will be buying the Pocket TENS machine which is widely available for commercial and personal use.

Now as your job profile is about standing and working more, that means you need to improve your stamina to withstand the day. Well, currently we do not have any medication to improve the stamina but exercise is the option which can help you regain the stamina to pass the day.

As you had an injury with an accident and having too many muscle weakness with pain, the only solution I See is to keep the body as much possible active you can with exercise.

I have seen many cases with such issues and most of them are better with regular exercises. Having accept to the fact that every human has their limitations and so does medical.

Hope you understand that the solution is with you and you need to do regular exercise and make your muscles strong and stronger.

I assure you that if you follow a regular general exercise then your pains will come down and you can have an active lifestyle.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Jay Indravadan Patel, Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello, I had an accident at work, and trolley has smashed into my spine, had xray and they found I have got bad arthritis and the accident has...

Recent questions on  Chronic pain

doctor1 MD

Tingling face. Suffer from chronic pain due to Lowe back injury. All pain is on left side. Shoulder, arm hands cramps/numb/tingle. Left leg,...

doctor1 MD

I am 52 years old Ihad my tubes tied over 17years ago I am now experiencing chronic pain in my entire back. the top of my thighs and the bottom of...

doctor1 MD

about 3 days ago a red itchy rash showed up on my 2 main knuckles on both hands and my elbows. There are bumps on my elbows also. My knuckles are...

doctor1 MD

I stay nauseated every day. I can t drink water especially in the morning. I have acid reflux, high blood pressure, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, low...

doctor1 MD

I can't get to sleep tonight. I have severe butt pain especially whn I lye down. Excursion. It shoot lik a knife. I'm on steroid , doesn't or...

doctor1 MD

Is it worth it to try hemp oil for pain and if so, what qualities should I be looking for?. Can you recommend a product. What makes the price...

doctor1 MD