• question-icon

Suggest remedy for diarrhea & constipation

About a month and a half ago I got on benicar 20 mg. to lower my blood pressure. I have always been on orthotrycyclin and occasionally xanax. (5 mg) The pain started close to three and a half weeks ago. I was on different antidepressants for 15 years and finally got off of all of them for a period of about a month and a half. Then, I was on my period and had a horrible sharp pain in my lower left side. I chalked it up to be gas and after awhile the pain subsided. Several days went by and during this time the gas got a lot worse. I was constantly burping and the other CONSTANTLY and the pain was all over. My stomach was in complete spasms. I then began to have loose watery and greasy yellow diarrhea from time to time, sometimes constipation and straining with yellow or green stools. My Dr. felt around on my stomach and said he didn’t feel anything. He said this was prob due to the antidepressants and serotonin levels. I had a vagus nerve reaction in his office and nearly passed out. I lost close to 6 pounds and have yet to gain it back. I am tired all the time and light headed as well. My short term memory is terrible and I can barley concentrate. Also, for a long time now I have had tingling pins and needles which come and go in my feet and my hands (mostly the left side) this went on before the stomach problems. . It started after I quit taking the antidepressants. Recently, I had black greasy stools with streaks of bright red blood in them . . . Then today I had yellow diarrhea again with constant cramping. My lower back is in a lot of pain now, especially at night when I lay down. I also have slight nausea with all of this which comes and goes. It’s usually the worst in the morning. One night, I had explosive black diarrhea which lasted for an hour and a half and I was peeing constantly throughout the night, as well. I recently had blood work done and gave a urine sample and am waiting to gv a stool sample to my Dr. My gastreo appt is not for another month, but I am in a lot of pain and want this to all go away so I can go on with my life
Mon, 11 Mar 2019

Irritable bowel syndrome. This is manifested with bloating or diarrheas with pain and abdominal discomfort.

As remedies you should: Look at your diet. If it contains a large amount of carbohydrates that are difficult to digest, try to replace them. Carbohydrates that are easier to digest, such as potatoes, rice, and bananas, are good substitutes.

Also, try to eat around five to six small meals a day instead of three larger ones to help your digestive process.

Chew properly to avoid doing anything that may increase the amount of air that you swallow. This includes making sure that you are chewing your food properly, and avoiding chewing gum or smoking.

Also, drink some peppermint tea, chamomile tea and ginger. In severe cases, colonoscopy should be done and some medications recommended.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon