Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Suffering with knee osteo arthritis, pain, advised shelcal. Permanent cure?

My doc adviced me shelcal once for three month and calcirol 1 mg twice a week for three month i am suffering with knee osteo arthrities and from last 7 days i am feeling pain in the right outer side of my left knee my vit D25 OH HYDROXY TEST report was 16 ng/ml on 10 april I am 45 years old lady am i taking right medicines
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, All the medications that are prescribed by your doctor all helpful in strengthening your bones. Your Vit D3 test is a bit abnormal ( we call it as insufficiency ) and as you are in perimenopausal age group, you definetely need Vitamin D and calcium supplementation. The initial management of Osteoarthritis of knee is always conservative with drugs (analgesic & antiinflammatory), Physiotherapy exercises and good physical activity. Have a great day
Answered: Wed, 17 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
For your osteoarthritis knee following measures will help with the pain
Do regular Exercise. Exercise can increase your endurance and strengthen the muscles around your joint, making your joint more stable. Stick to gentle exercises, such as walking, biking or swimming.
Lose weight if you are obese- Being overweight or obese increases the stress on your weight-bearing joints, such as your knees and your hips. Even a small amount of weight loss can relieve some pressure and reduce your pain.
Use heat and cold to manage pain. Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness and cold can relieve muscle spasms.
Apply over-the-counter pain creams. Creams and gels available at the drugstore may provide temporary relief from osteoarthritis pain.
Take diet rich in calcium, vitamin d3 and minerals.
If you have already exhausted all conservative treatments including medicines, you would be ideal candidate for surgery. Knee replacement stands a gold standard in modern times. You have to understand that as age advances, human body deteriorates. You can not expect medications alone to convert a worn out joint into healthy youth.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Mukesh Tiwari's  Response
I welcome you at healthcare magic.

It looks from your details that you are suffering from pain at your knee.Most common reason for knee pain at advanced age is arthritis knee.This can be confirmed by some features which are present in radio-graph or x ray of knee.
Medicines which you re taking at present do not help with knee osteoarthritis.To have relief in osteoarthritis knee,you should do following-

-Start doing exercises for quadriceps muscles.You may learn this from your physiotherapist.

-Start doing warm fomentation with rubber bag over knee for at least 3 times a day.

-Take a good analgesic like advil or aleeve.

-There are some dietary substances like glucosamine ,chondroitin sulfate,MSM which can be taken OTC.These substances help in repairing of damaged cartilage of knee in early stages.

-Avoid squatting movements at knee.

-In early stages exercises, medicines ,joint supplements & intra articular injections are helpful & may revert the changes but in late cases joint replacement is only option.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.
Answered: Wed, 17 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are taking Vitamin D / it along with Calcium strengthens the bone...
It is degenerative joint disease / it is progressive and can not be cured / Pain relievers, supplements and physiotherapy help
Orthopaedician can help a lot depending on clinical examination and MRI / total replacement is an option at one stage...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor