Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
178 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How to cure rheumatoid arthritis and osteo arthritis?

I am a 77 yr old female and in fairly good health. Am overweight and suffer from Rheumatoid arthritis as well as osteo arthritis. In the last several years I have become more and more out of breath with the least little effort or exertion. My heart has been checked out thoroughly and there is no problem there. What could be other causes and what kind of doctor should I see?
Fri, 22 Apr 2016
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response

thank you for providing the brief history of you.
A detailed assessment of the lungs, respiratory muscles and musculoskeletal assessment is advised.

As you have both RA and OA, you need to undergo physical therapy, as they will help you perform exercises to strengthen the muscles involved. Also, as you said you get breathless, means your cardio respiratory endurance is slow and needs to get boost up.

For RA and OA, medical works only symptomatic, and needs physical therapy along with it for optimum results. You can find research articles supporting the optimum functional abilities by implementation of physical therapy.

Also, the physical therapist will help you to understand how the process will work and how your overall health will improve along with weight loss too.

In my clinical practice i see many OA and RA, but the end result we get is jogging without any breathlessness or pains and aches.

Jay Indravadan Patel
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hi i am from ethiopia(africa).my Q? is about my mother. she is haveing romatic arthrities for almost 25 years Q? is 1. is there a cure for...

Recent questions on  Rheumatism

doctor1 MD

hi doctor, 3 years back i was suffering from knee pain,following a blood test it was found that aso titre levels were ecg,echo was...

doctor1 MD

Hello! / My father is 57 years old. Since June of 2011. He suffered from leg joints and hands, and in August the temperature rose from 37.2 to 38.5...

doctor1 MD

my daughter aged 32 years is suffering from Rheumatic arthritis since last 7 years. Due to excessive strides she had to replace one knee 4 months...

doctor1 MD

I am 27 years old and I ve been suffering from rheumatism for the past 8 years. I would like to know if Penidure injections can cure or stop the...

doctor1 MD

have a spondylitis issue , body pains at at legs/pulling.. could you suggest Best Ayurvedic doctor in Hyderabad? Does Ayurvedic help in treating...

doctor1 MD

Hi, My sister lives in Brazil and recently developed strange symptoms. It started with sore throat then had red spots all over her legs. She did...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I m 31 year old female. I m originally from XXXXXXX but living in uk for 20 years. I ve been diagnosed with raynaulds conditions. My...