Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Suffering from hydrocephalus. what should I do ?

my wife is pregenent,she is 17 weeks and 6 in the ultrasound report I came to know that the infant is suffering from hydrocephalus. what should I do ? Is the better way to do abortation or wait for the birth ?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Feb 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  214
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
hi thanxs for consultation hydrocephalus is term used when the head circumfrance increased due to increased amount of cerebro-spinal fluid in the brain. but its a near 3 month of pregnacy please undergo under the consultation of paediatric neurologist.because there may be a risk of abnormal child
Answered: Thu, 1 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Radiologist Dr. Gaurav Sundar's  Response
welcomt to and thanks for your query.
Hydrocephaly is a broad term which roughly implies "water in the brain"
Based only on one ultrasound report, you can not predict the outcome of this condition.
Mild cases may resolve on its own. If the hydrocephaly is very severe, delivery may become difficult because of the large head. In such cases, it is better to speak to your doctor and inquire about your options of terminating the pregnancy.
Most importantly, you should do a follow up scan at 24 weeks to see the progress of the condition.
Wish you good luck,
Answered: Thu, 1 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
My daughter was born with hydrocehalus 28 yrs. ago. I won't say its been easy but nothing in life is. But having her in our lives has changed alot of peoples lives for the better. We have 4 other children & now 8 grandchildren, having Natalie in their lives have help make them into the people they are today. Their all very sensitive to others, most are involved in social programs that encourage & help others. It's been a privelege & a gift to have this family I've been given. Hope all has gone well for you!
Answered: Wed, 20 Apr 2011
Infertility Specialist Dr. Meenakshi Rastogi's  Response
I can very well understand your dilemma. After birth a baby with hydrocephalus has very little chances of having a normal childhood. However you can again go for an ultrasound after some gap at some different and bigger centre. If the problem remains the same,you should seek opinion of some leading expert doctor of your area. It is not late to make a decision. Wish you all the best.
Answered: Fri, 2 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor