Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Suffering from chronic kidney disease. Reduced size of kidneys. Is recovery possible?

sir my mother is suffering from ckd stage 3-4 , hypertensive, thyroid -9.6, creatinine-2.54, urea=87, uric acid-6.4 kidneys reduced in size..homeopathic medicine going on slightly improvement in 2 months (earlier creatinine was 2.65 , uric acid-7.2, urea-75) what would you suggest..whether complete recovery possible? much time if possible generally? we are having vegetarian diet only with little pulses. please suggest some medicines
Asked On : Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  119
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Nephrologist 's  Response
Hi and welcome to HCM. I hope you didn't annoy the lady nephrologist by addressing this question only to the male nephrologist!! just kidding. How old is your mum? What other medical problems does she have? What is the exact size of the kidneys on the USG scan? What does the urine tests show? What is important to establish is whether the kidney impairment has happened over past few days or months to years. I suspect your nephrologist has made that assessment and labelled her CKD (means kidney problem slowly DETERIORATING over may months or years). If her kidney problem is recent and there are active urinary sediments and urine protein, I would do a kidney biopsy (as long as kidneys are more than 8 cmd) to clarify the diagnosis and guide treatment. I have not studied other forms of medicine, so can't comment about them or the benefits of them. I certainly see a lot of people who have come to harm from alternate medications, once again there is bias here since I donot get to see any one who might have improved. If your mother has less than 8CM kidneys +/- no proteinuria/ blood in urine, unlikely she will recover with any treatment. Once again with out assessing your mother personally and ensuring that there is no reversible problem I cannot confidentally say this.
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor