Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Suffer from enlarged prostate. Taking flotral. How long should I continue the medication?

dear sir,
presently i am 61 years old and taking FLOTRAL-D 10mg for enlarged prostate problem. Initially before start the medication the size of the prostrate was 74cm on right and 66cm on left after taking the medication for 4 months the sizes reduced to 56cm for right and 68cm for left. Please suggest whether should i continue with the same medication as on left side the gland had got slightly enlarged.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  179
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
BPH(benign prostate hypertrophy) is normally initially treated medically. This is done through alpha antagonists(Flotral-D).
If medical treatment does not reduce a patient's urinary symptoms, a TURP may be considered following a careful examination of the prostate to rule out malignancy.. The Indication for surgery in prostatomegaly mainly depends on the symptoms and if there is any complication arisisng from prostatomegaly.
The Main indication for surgery in BPH
1)There inability to pass urine without a catheter ('urinary retention')
2)Recurrent urine infections due to obstruction caused by the prostate
3)urinary symptoms due to an enlarged prostate (BPH) that are bothersome and are not adequately improved by medicines or changing one's lifestyle
4)If the patient develops significant PVR(post void residue) volume (eg, >100 ml),on ultrasonography.
If your symptoms have decreased after taking the medicines you may continue taking the same medication. Consult a urologist , to get your PSA done and to rule out cancer of the gland.
Hope i have answered your query
wish you good helath
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor