Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Sudden rise in BP, suspect anxiety attack. Wasn't panicky when readings taken. What is it ?

Hi. My mom had a sudden rise in blood pressure and after heart tests the cardiologist told her that her heart is fine and that it was nothing wrong. However, i suspect that she had an extreme anxiety attackbecause she had a difficult past and she experienced panic attacks few years ago. But she refuses to believe that it might be psychological so she plans to meet another doctor to tell her if she is sick or not. However, she didn t feel panicky when her blood pressure was taken but her readings were high. How to help her?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
If high blood pressure is not treated then over time it can result in damage to heart,brain kidneys etc.The longer it is left untreated, the greater the damage that is done.
High blood pressure requires medical attention and treatment because it greatly increases the risk of complications that can cause premature death or serious disability. Having high blood pressure can double or triple your risk of heart disease and stroke, and puts you at a greater risk of developing kidney disease. 
By keeping your blood pressure normal through treatment, you can reduce your risk of heart failure by more than 50% and lower your risk of heart attack by 20% to 25%.
Similarly chances of strokes go down by 40 %.
Consult your doctor and get her the proper treatment.
As far as anxiety is concerned it can be tackled  by medications as well as proper counselling.
I hope it helps
Answered: Sat, 9 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Maruti Karale's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
There could be rise in blood pressure due to anxiety or panic attack but it will not sustain longer.Check blood pressure regularly for 7 days and keep a record of it.
If three or more readings are more than 140/90 mm of hg then she needs to treated for hypertension.
She may needs tests such as:

These are the basic investigations that she should be tested for.

Visit to a physician for clinical correlation and further testing and treatment accordingly.

Hope this could help you.
Wish your mother good health.
Answered: Thu, 28 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor