Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Stents post minor heart attack, has difficulty in smoking cessation. What can be done to get rid of addiction?

My husband 56 yrs old had a minor heart attack last November and had two stents put in, one being the main artery they call the widow maker. He was a lucky, it did not damage his heart at all. We got him to hospital quickly and I gave him aspirin to chew beforehand. His dad died at 54 from heart attack. He is still smoking and can not seem to quit. He has tried everything. He smokes a half pk to one pk a day. How can I get through to him to quit. He only gets furious with me everytime I bring it up.
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  63
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

It appears that either your husband doesn't want to quit smoking or is too scared to do so. If he has a good rapport with his doctor, you can ask the doctor to explain to him the risks of smoking in his condition and to advise him to quit. If this doesn't work, you can take him through the information available on the net about the harms of smoking. If he is scared of what will happen after quitting, reassure him that quitting is uncomfortable but not life-threatening. Tell him it will just be like having a mild attack of flu and will get better in a few days. There are medications to help him quit smoking, so he need not be scared.

Best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 1 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor