Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Started weight training and noticed decrease in height. Should I consult a endocrinologist?

helo doctor, im 23 year old male .. I have started weight training one year ago.. My height before i started training was 5 8.5 and now, its only 5 6 .. Im wondering what caused the height loss? and is there any way i can possibly increase my lost height ? do i need to consult an endocrinologist? how can i confirm i have stopped growing taller ? thank you doctor ! :)
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  341
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thank you for getting in touch with us. As I see, you are complaining of a loss in height after your started weight training. Loss in height is not possible in normal condition unless there is a traumatic injury to a part of the body or arthritis which deforms the knee. The only reason I can think of is that you have put on some muscle mass and have become more bulky in the last one year. Well built men often look shorter than thin man. If you still feel you have lost height, you can get in touch with an Endocrinologist or Internal Medicine specialist and he can guide you further. Hope this helps.
Dr. Gagandeep Dhillon
Answered: Wed, 12 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Michelle Gibson James's  Response
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Loss of height tends to occur in older persons who may have a decrease in bone density.
It is unlikely to occur in any other setting. The difference in height may be related to measuring technique or the instrument used.
If you remain concerned then you may want to visit your doctor for an assessment.

Hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 12 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor