Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Small child, suffering from cough, wheezing sound. Prescribed ventorlin, alaspan syrup, no relief. Treatment options?

my son is 2.9 yrs old and having cough with little of wheezing sound from the last 15 days. his doctor now prescribed Ventorlin syrp 5ml thrice a day, clarie susp 6ml twice a day, alaspan syrp 5ml once and phensedyl syrp 5ml bed time. after having medicine for 4 days i don t observe any relief in him. now doctor suggested for complete blood test and chest xray . so dont know what to do. should i change his doctor.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  1703
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
its a sensible suggestion to think the child might have asthma. At this age, a child who develops wheezing and respiratory distress usually in a febrile context for the first or second time bring to mind the diagnosis of bronchioloitis. Repeated (over)three episodes can predispose the child to develop asthma. Its only on these basis that we talk of asthma. Treatment is usually supportive, meaning using bronchodialators like ventoline, controlling fever, opening the airways in case of obstruction and supportive therapy with oxygen in very severe cases. At times clinical response is not very spectacular from the start of the treatment, and you juts note to notify your caring physician if it stays stagnant for a very long time ,or in case of aggravation.
Other conditions however can mimic this clinical scenario, like cardiac pathologies or other bacterial lung infections like pneumonia. A chest X ray shall thus be most welcome to clear doubts and make a specific diagnosis.
Hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Your child seems to have wheezing associated respiratory tract infection.
Continue the medication as prescribed by your doctor, and discuss your concerns with the doctor and if required go for blood and chest x ray investigation.
If you are not convinced, you can go for a second opinion with another Pediatrician.
Hope i have answered your query.
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman's  Response

Is he having a fever too along with cough? Does he have any breathing difficulty or fast breathing?
Is he a known wheezer?
What is the type of cough? dry or moist one? When is the cough more?
It would be better if you can get back with these details.

Usually cough associated with wheeze will be more in the early morning and night time and may be associated with vomiting following a cough.
If he is known wheezer- there are chances that with any viral infections or cold, he might end up wheezing. In such a case he might need medications like ventorlin that open up the airways. If he does not respond to ventorlin alone, nebulisations may be tried.
Phensedyl- has a potent cough supressant and may be used in dry hacking cough with a clear chest.

You always have freedom to get second opinion.
Hope my answer helps you.
Wish your son a speedy recovery.
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Kaushik K Murthy's  Response
do not change the doctor. get the tests done, he may require oral antibiotics , nebulisations , or even oral steroids if the wheezing has not reduced.
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor