• question-icon

Sciatic nerve injury during hip replacement surgery. Dropped foot, muscle atrophy due to injury. Solution?

I had hip replacement in Oct, 2011 and during surgery there was sciatic nerve injury which the Orthopedist denies. The computer from the hospital records states there was sciatic nerve injury. Since that time I have been seeing physical therapists , acupuncture , chiropractic and massage therapy. I am now going to start reflexology as well as the PT. I am much better. At the outset I could not move my foot. As a result of the injury, I do have somewhat of a dropped foot as well as muscle atrophy, for which I am doing exercises. I am wearing shoes similar to racing shoes which curl up at the toe and keep me from falling and help with balance. What else, if anything, should I be doing. Most of the medical personnel are not helping; they want me in a brace all the time. Thanks, wm
Tue, 27 Aug 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us
As there is no recovery since more than 1 and 1/2 years after sciatic nerve injury during hip replacement surgery, tendon transfer surgery can be considered for dropped foot. Consult this with your orthopaedic surgeon.
I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.