What causes severe leg pain after hip replacement surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
my husband has serious leg pain. It's down the front of his legs when he coughs, and along the side of the thigh much of the day. He had a hip replaced and never has been free of pain when walking. He rides the stationary bike daily, but won't do the stretch exercises. Should he see a doctor and if so, what type? He's starting to limp and it really interferes with his daily activities.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
should consult a doctor

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question on this platform.
I have gone through the medical history and symptoms of your husband.

The pain seems to be arising out of the operated hip joint.If the pain has been constant right from the day when he underwent the hip replacement surgery,then it suggests that there may be some issues with the implant fit.

He should definitely consult an orthopaedic doctor,preferably the one who has operated on him.

Stretching exercises and hot fomentation may help to some extent.
Muscle relaxant analgesics like ibuprofen/tizanidine will reduce the pain temporarily to some extent.

He should get his recent Xray of pelvis with both hips done.

I hope the answer was useful to you.

Feel free to ask me any doubts that you may have.

Thank you.
Best regards.