Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Scar tissue on eyelid. Suggested biopsy. Need explanation

I went to a dr today because the eyelashes on my lower lid seem to be growing straight up and are scraping on my cornea . He tells me it is one of two things....there is scar tissue that may be from an old eye infection. The scar tissue is causing my lower lid to curl inward creating the illusion that my lashes are growing straight up (apparently common in people over 60, I am 64) ...easily fixed by snipping the scar tissue. The other possible thing it may be could also affect other mucus membranes....not too sure what that means....he has ordered a biopsy ...there was little explanation.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response

Abnormal growth of eyelashes towards cornea or conjunctiva is known as trichiasis. It could be due to some eye infection like trachoma or herpes zoster, severe drug reaction like Steven Johnson syndrome, trauma to eyes, previous eye lid surgery or autoimmune disease which scars eye mucosa like cicatricial pemphigoid. Sometimes it could be present since birth. There is another condition known as distichiasis where an abnormal row of eye lashes might grow and harm cornea.

The treatment involves removing the in growing eye lashes.

However, it is beyond my understanding how would biopsy of scar tissue help in treating the condition. When he said it could affect other mucosa he probably was thinking about pemphigoid.

I would advise you to consult an expert eye doctor to evaluate your concern.

Hope that answers your query,
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dermatologist Dr. Surajit Gorai's  Response
welcome to hcm.
the condition you described is probably entropion/trichiasis.
in these case as you described eye lid/lash get inverted and rubs cornea/other parts of eye ball.
treatment is corrective surgery,tapping/epilation of the lash.
scar tissue may cause entropion.
where the scar is present is not clear from your description.
if its due to scar it can be biopsied to know its nature.
so dont worry.
eye specialist will guide you properly.
you can depend on him/can take another consultation.
good luck.
Answered: Wed, 6 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dermatologist Dr. Rahul Kumar's  Response
Your doctor wants to find out the exact cause of the scar.
If it is due to injury the scar tissue will be removed and you will be fine.
if it is due to certain conditions like morphea or lichen sclerosus, surgery wont be helpful.
so please get the biopsy done.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor